IPython 0.12+ Support
IdleX's IPyIDLE.py extension adapts IDLE's existing shell and editor framework to work with IPython's ZMQ interface. Combined with RunSelection and SubCodes, the editor interface provides for rapid code execution and development with IPython's powerful facilities.
- Tab autocompletion as a drop-down window.
- Call tip window with call signature and doc string.
- %edit magic opens IDLE editor.
- Separate non-blocking pager window (useful for ? and ?? object information).
- Pylab inline figure support.
- Right-click to save image.
- Requires PIL with Tkinter support.
- Multi-line cell input with Shift+Enter.
- No sys.ps2 rendering ( ...: )
- Change kernel startup options.
- Switch between IDLE and IPython shell.
- Drop-down Tab completions just like the shell environment.
- Detailed call tips.
- Run highlighted code or a single line from the editor by pressing F9. (RunSelection.py)
- Tag or join code regions with Ctrl+J for execution with Ctrl+F9
- Untag or split regions with Ctrl+K
- Run SubCodes with Ctrl+Enter. (SubCode.py)
- Similar to IPython Notebook Cells and MATLAB Cell Mode.
- Code near cursor and in between ## markers runs.
- Run all code in a restarted kernel with F5.
- Toggle restart-ability under Shell menu.
Command Line Options
IdleX is still IDLE and handles IDLE's command-line arguments. An argument preprocessor has been added to handle some IPython options:
- --existing (must have .json file)
These options can be reconfigured while IdleX is running (requires kernel restart).